Friday, March 27, 2009

Iowa

Today was a busy day! After spending the night at my parents' house, Mom, Kayla and I were on the road by 8am for a day trip to my mom's hometown to visit some older relatives. I hadn't been to Belmond in a couple of years (since shortly after my Grandma died) - so it was bittersweet, to be sure. The drive felt longer than ever before... But was fun to chat with Mom, while Kayla watched movies and slept in the back seat.

When we got to town, we went to the "Pizza Ranch" - one of the only restaurants in town - to meet my Mom's aunt, Elsie. I hadn't seen her since Grandma's funeral - so it was nice to hear how life was treating her (and to see my grandma in her eyes, and feel her in her hug). We enjoyed a long lunch with her hearing how all the other aunts and uncles, cousins, and grandkids were. (Honestly, I don't know who half the people are - but she enjoyed sharing the news!)

After we said good-bye to Elsie, we went to my Grandpa's brother's house. Dale (Pink) and Nadine are always a joy to see! They love company and you can't escape their hospitality! After a full lunch at the Pizza Ranch, we were treated to donuts and coffee! Pink has mannerisms that mimick my grandpa's - so I always smile to see him! And Nadine is funny as can be with her dry sense of humor and sharp remarks. My mom's cousin, Tony, stopped by too - I always like to see her. She's fun and kind and quick to laugh. I like her a lot.

After visiting, we drove around town - looked at new buildings, were saddened by the loss of old buildings. Checked on the old landmarks remembered from visits past... And glanced down the street at my mom's childhood home. It's amazing how quickly things can change - even in a small town.

As we left Nadine's house, she handed me $5 for ice cream on the way home - a late birthday present for me! LOL I love it! We stopped for Dairy Queen blizzards and listened to music all the way home... I'm sure in our laughter, we were all quietly processing the day... A lot of emotions swirling around.

I'm thankful for my mom's attention to her family. For her small town roots. For her need to stay connected. It helps me to feel rooted, too.

It was a good day.

Things I am thankful for today:

1. A beautiful day for a drive.
2. Belmond, IA - will always be a town of good memories.
3. The tree - one thing that will always stay the same (I hope!).
4. Elsie - so happy to see us.
5. Elsie's story of her marriage to Wilbur! (A good Christian man - but she doesn't mean to brag!)
6. Pink and Nadine - always great.
7. Tony - wish I knew her better.
8. Kayla - full of interest in music!
9. Birthday dinner with my family!
10. Watching basketball with the family - fun! (Even if I was routing for the wrong team...)

1 comment:

Mom said...

The highlight of my day, was when Uncle "Pink" stated he voted for Obama!!!!!! Never in my lifetime did I think I would ever here him say that!!!!! I'm sure Grpa and Grma were rolling in there graves!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin