Saturday, March 21, 2009

Self-Confidence

"Many women confuse self-esteem with self-confidence. For me, self-esteem is how we really feel about ourselves in the secret sanctuary of our soul. Do we love, accept, and approve of ourselves unconditionally? Do we believe that we are worthy of the love of others and the best that life has to offer?...

But self-confidence is a special elixir that the Spirit has prepared to help each of us face and surmount the challenges of life. It's an aromatic blending of invigorating essences: attitude, experience, knowledge, wisdom, optimism, and faith...

An optimistic attitude is essential to self-confidence. So is learning from our mistakes and recognizing that everything in life can be used as a lesson once we are willing to be taught."
--Simple Abundance

I was lucky to grow up in a family where I was loved. I was lucky to have teachers and mentors who saw value in what I could do and say. I am lucky to have friends that will always stand by my side. I am lucky to have married a man who shows me love, value, friendship and partnership all in one. I am lucky to have found such a strong faith in my Creator at such an early age. I've had a very lucky life - and now it's my turn to thank all of those who have shaped who I am by passing it on.

I get teased a lot for being a "role model" to my youth group kids - but I take the role very seriously. I hope I can be a mentor that shows our kids a life of faith and fulfillment - one that doesn't need the bad influences that only fill temporary wants and needs. I hope, in some way, I can help them see how loved and valued they are - that their esteem and confidence can grow and mature. And that they know they always have someone who cares - in their parents, in God, in their friends, in me.

Self-esteem and self-confidence come from so many different places in our lives... Where have you gotten it from? How can you help someone else to see their true worth? I encourage us all, today, to pass it on...

Peace,
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. A retreat with the leaders of my church - very uplifting.
2. Feeling valued at work.
3. Developing friendships.
4. People seeing my gifts and talents as things that can be used to benefit the church community
5. A sunny, beautiful day.
6. Shopping with the hubby.
7. Grand Ave. in St. Paul - such a fun neighborhood.
8. Excited to see my confirmands tomorrow!
9. So nice to have a quiet night at home...
10. Life is good.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin