Thursday, March 26, 2009

Defined

"Long before I am near enough to talk to you on the street, in a meeting, or at a party, you announce your sex, age, and class to me through what you are wearing - and very possibly give me important information (or misinformation) as to your occupation, origin, personality, opinions, tastes, sexual desires, and current mood. I may not be able to put what I observe into words, but I register the information unconsciously; and you simultaneously do the same for me. By the time we meet and converse we have already spoken to each other in an older and more universal tongue."
--Alison Lurie, from The Language of Clothes

This week's readings in A Simple Abundance, all center around our clothing choices and how that reflects, or fails to reflect, our authentic selves. It's really making me wonder what people think of the way I dress! I tend to be one who thrives on being warm and comfortable - with just a touch of trendy? Ha ha ha. I live in jeans - if I ever couldn't wear jeans on daily basis I think I would shrivel up and die. (Ok, that was a bit melodramatic...) I love jeans. I love sweaters - all kinds! Turtlenecks, cowl necks, cardigans, sweater jackets, crewnecks, etc. And all colors! I love mid-heel boots. I love ballet slippers. I love Keens shoes. I love ankle socks - and fuzzy socks. I love soft fabrics. I love comfort.

I don't love over-sized sunglasses. Skinny jeans. Flourescent colors. Belly-baring shirts. Short shorts and mini-skirts. High-wasited pants. Knee socks. Nylons. Stilletos (what's sexy about not being able to walk properly?).

I've always been practical in my clothing choices - but I still have fun with dressing up. I like to feel good, feel pretty... Feel like I'm still me - and not an imitation of someone else. I think that's what's important in the long run. Isn't it?

I'm curious - what clothing trends do you love and hate?
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Time to chat with Diane today!
2. "National Create Your Own Holiday Day" - I'm celebrating Kayla, my sister, today!
3. Kayla's "speech spotlight" - she's great!
4. A nice phone chat with Penny.
5. News that more donations came in for my job!
6. Late night chats with Mom.
7. Banana, coconut tres leches cake - Yumm-a-roo, Mom!
8. Longer days!
9. Walking around my old high school!
10. Looking forward to tomorrow in Iowa.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have fat calves...so I don't like straight cut jeans..I have the need to let my legs breathe...stop laughing... I also don't like the bare skin thing...but my dds do...I shudder..but whatever!

Mom said...

I'm just glad you got over the "grunge" look--I know --that was many years ago!!!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin