Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bounce

Today was "New Member Day" at our church. 6 new people became a part of the church family and committed to supporting the church through their "prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness." I always love new member days! I love the idea that we are, essentially, adopting new members into the family!

At my old church, in Wisconsin, whenever we accepted new members into the church our pastor would give a speech about new people being like "ping pong balls." I still laugh at the analogy - but like it a lot! He would tell a story about a room with ping pong balls spread all over the floor - every inch of the floor covered in a neat and orderly pattern. What a calm and peaceful picture it was! Then... A new ping pong ball (or 6 of them!) gets thrown into the room! One by one, the balls start bouncing as they are displaced! Pretty soon, every single ball has been affected - each one has bounced into a new life!

Much like... when new members join our faith family (or any other group for that matter) - they bring new energy, new life! They bring their own ideas, thoughts, experiences, and ways of being involved. They make us "bounce" in new ways! I love it! I'm excited to see in what ways we will bounce with our new friends!

In what ways do you effect the groups you are part of? What new life and energy do you bring when you walk into the room? I think it's an interesting question for all of us to ask ourselves...

To bouncing!
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Our new members, of course!
2. A very fun confirmation class - full of questions!
3. Beth serving communion for the first time.
4. Girl Scout cookies!
5. Going to my parents' house for dinner with Kayla and Dad.
6. A game of "May I?" - full of sound effects and laughter.
7. Skyping with Em, Karlin, Finley and Mom.
8. The hubby's willingness to pick up my mom from the airport tomorrow.
9. Family history and records from Dad - ready to be filled into my family tree!
10. Getting home in time to see most of the 2 hour episode of "Brothers and Sisters."

1 comment:

Carol E. said...

Drat. I forgot to watch "Brothers and Sisters!"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin