Sunday, March 22, 2009

Just Fake It

"When I was younger, my self-confidence potion was heavily scented with attitude, optimism, and faith; experience, knowledge, and wisdom had to come later. But even today, every new opportunity or challenge requires that I prepare a special batch of moxie for myself. I do this by becoming as thoroughly prepared as possible and by looking the part... Next, I say my prayers and ask for the Power to be switched on. Then it's 'showtime.' I act as if I'm self-confident and the world takes me as such."
--Simple Abundance

Wow. How many days have you just felt like there's no way you can measure up to the task at hand? That others will see you as incapable for the job? That you will never measure up to your own expectations? I think that happens for all of us... A lot.

But it's so true that sometimes all it takes - is faking it. Look the part. Pray. Let the adrenaline take over. Everything can be ok.

This happens to me a lot when I lead meetings, preach, meet new people, plan a new event... I feel like I won't measure up to what people are expecting. But once I'm in the situation, I find a kind of peace and calm - and begin to enjoy it! Then the next time is so much easier...

What's the quote? Fake it til you make it? Or something like that? Cheesey, corny... But I think it could work!

Things I am thankful for today:

1. My "cheering section" at church this morning - "Welcome back, Megan!"
2. Confirmation at Faith UMC - I'm loving it this year!
3. Coffee with Rebecca H. - so proud of her and her choices this year!
4. Watching my youth group kids grow up and mature. Such great people.
5. Time to read my book today.
6. Skim chai tea.
7. Moonroof was open!
8. Nowhere to go this afternoon- sweatpants on for a lazy day!
9. A difficult neighbor is moving out.
10. Basketball tournaments - the family competing in the brackets!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As cheesy as Fake it til you Make it is..or sounds...I have had many kids that I have worked with use it... and I use it ALOT...more sometimes than others...I use it especially when facilitating Wired Word (smile)and when I have to have a parent meeting and the big boss shows up...the human big boss that is! Anyway have a nice evening!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin