Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cracks

"Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in."
-- Leonard Cohen

Do you ever fail to start something, because you think it will never turn out as perfect as you would want it to? I hate to hand-write journals - because it never looks neat enough. I don't try different art forms anymore - because it never turns out like the picture in my head. I hate to take leadership for big events - because I'm afraid it won't be the success I see in my mind.

I used to not cook - because I thought I'd screw everything up. I used to be afraid of blogging - because I thought I didn't have anything to say. I used to think I would never get married - because I wouldn't be good wife...

Silliness. All of it. Turns out, I'm a pretty good cook! I love to blog - and a lot of people have said how much they enjoy reading it! And... I think I'm a good wife (and so does my hubby)! :)

There are so many things in our lives that we don't try out of fear of not being perfect! But it's often in the trying, that we learn about ourselves, we appreciate what we are good at, and we discover our uniqueness! I started a hand-written journal last week - it's not pretty, and my hand cramps everytime I write in it... But it's a way to see what's really on my mind! I've decided I'd like to try to make a quilt. It's a new art form for me, and one I may not be any good at - but I'd like to try! (I have many cool ladies in my life that quilt... maybe they'll be willing to help?) And if my job goes in the direction it seems to be heading... I may be taking some big leadership roles soon... Better get used to that idea!

So here's to appreciating the "cracks" - and letting your light shine through!
Megs

Things I am thankful for today:

1. Being asked to do a "house blessing" - I'm honored!
2. Lunch with my staff - Happy Birthday, ladies!
3. Jeremy's willingness to help.
4. A new window in my office!
5. Book group tonight.
6. A snowy - and beautiful - drive home.
7. Friends willing to pray for each other.
8. Melissa's thankfulness.
9. The book, Speaking of Faith - opening my eyes to new ways of talking about faith.
10. No sore muscles after our hike yesterday! :)

4 comments:

Carol E. said...

I'll help you learn to quilt! I've been wanting to teach a class anyway. Yippeee!

Anonymous said...

I have lots of material you can have---Inspire ME!!!!!

Carol E. said...

OK, now I see what Melissa was talking about. I went back and read the posts I had missed. That torte looks SCRUMPTIOUS!! I like your hubby. He's smart and I'm glad you two are in love!

Melissa Kaye said...

Ah, Megan! You are so sweet! I have a lot of reasons to be thankful! I'm so glad that our book group is back together again. And I'm thankful for you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin