Monday, February 11, 2013

Relationships

So far, due to my readings in Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin, I've tried:

*  Creating "shrines" around the house to things that inspire me and bring us happiness. (Done!)
*  Going "shelf by shelf" to clear clutter from shelves, drawer, closets, etc.  (Still working on it - but I've made great progress!)
*  "Giving gold stars" to my husband - noticing and thanking him for things he does well.
*  Making the positive argument for my husband and others - assuming they always have good intentions.
*  Learning something new that would benefit my relationship with my husband.  (I'm including my weight-loss and training for the 3 Day Walk here!)
*  Getting up half an hour earlier.  (Still working on making this consistent.)  And go to bed earlier.
*  Exercising.  (Doing!)
*  Eatting healthier.  (Doing!)
*  Creating a dream board.
*  Surrounding myself with good scents.  Candles.
*  Listening to classical music at work.  (Doing - and I love it!)
*  Writing and mailing notes to uplift people's days.  (Working on it...)

Today, my reading was about relationships.  The first thing she called attention to was a need for a gratitude ritual in your life...  Smile.  I've got that one down in a couple of ways! 
1)Here on my blog, I write down things I am thankful for everyday (and they often include my relationships!). 
2)We have our "gratitude jar" on the kitchen counter - when things happen that we want to remember, we write them down and put the note in the jar.  And on New Year's Day we open them and celebrate the last year!

I like these rituals - a lot.  Even on my bad days, I'm reminded how blessed my life really is!

Things I'd like to work on:
1)  Being a better daughter and sister.  I take my relationships with family members for granted and often forget to call, send notes, or visit.  I need to work on being intentional about these things.
2)  Plan little surprises for those in my life!  This goes back ot Bob Goff's "make memorable moments."  Bring joy to others in fun, simple ways.

The people in my life are what make it so great - and I'm so thankful for them, every day!  Time to show them!


Things I am thankful for today:

1.  A surprising conversation from Sunday, that keeps making me smile...
2.  A haircut!
3.  The smell of Aveda products...
4.  Head and neck massages.  Heaven.
5.  Birthdays coming up!
6.  Working on a Valentine surprise for my hubby.
7.  A yummy dinner - Citrus Grilled Pork Chops and Brocolli.
8.  Another good day on the elliptical!
9.  Cuddly naps
10.  Lovin' life.

QotD:  How did you get to work today?
Ha ha ha.  I work from home on Mondays...  So, I rolled out of bed and made my way to the couch.  It was a rough commute!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin