Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th

"Expect nothing; live frugally on surprise."
--Alice Walker

"The passionate pursuit of dreams sets your soul soaring; expectations that measure the dream's success tie stones around your soul. I don't think we should just lower our expectations; I believe if we truly want to live a joyous and adventurous life, we should relinquish them.
"Living your life as a dreamer and not as an 'expector' is a personal declaration of independence. You're able to pursue happiness more directly when you don't get caught up in the delivery details. Dreaming, not expecting, allows Spirit to step in and surprise you with connection, completion, consummation, celebration. You dream. Show up for work. Then let Spirit deliver your dream to the world."
--Simple Abundance

On a day when we celebrate the dreams of our nation's founders - what an interesting reading! I wonder what was going through their minds when they sat down to write the Declaration of Independence? What were their expectations of this nation and its people? I wonder what they would think today - were their expectations met? Were their dreams fulfilled? I always think of them as such serious, stern men sitting around that table... But really, they must have been amazing dreamers!

Today was a perfect 4th! Slept in, made some yummy food, went to my parent's house for a neighborhood cook-out, laughed and talked with the neighbors, went to some church friends' house for the fireworks... A good day. A really good day.
Playing around inside while it was raining... Mom and Dad, Mike and I.
Waiting for the fireworks to begin!
Things I am thankful for today:

1. Really sleeping in! I don't remember the last time the hubby and I slept in so late!
2. Blackberry cobbler and coffee for breakfast - it's a vacation day, right?!
3. Trying a new dessert recipe.
4. Spending the day with my family.
5. My parents' neighbors - so fun to be around!
6. Sweet tea and lemonade!
7. Seeing old friends at the fireworks!
8. Bug spray.
9. Lawn chairs!
10. More fireworks!
11. Getting home at a decent hour.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin