Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dinner

"I learned early on that setting a table is so much more than just laying down knives and forks. It is creating a setting for food and conversation, setting a mood and an aura that lingers long after what was served and who said what was forgotten."
--Peri Wolfman "When you take extra moments to prepare an attractive table, you're really performing an invocation, welcoming Spirit to be present in recreation and remembrance. Choosing to dine rather than just eat is a small but significant step toward self-nurturance, and one to savor as long as we live...
"Company is coming tonight. Guess who? It would be a quantum leap in abundance consciousness, if, when your authentic self graces your table, she finds generous portions of the love, respect, and welcome she so richly deserves served up on the most beautiful plate you own."
--Simple Abundance I LOVE table settings, creating an atmosphere, a celebration. If I had more money, I would need a whole closet devoted to table linens, seasonal dishes, and napkin rings! Ask my hubby - so true. I drool at over these things in stores... Why? Because I love decorating the table to celebrate the day - any day! Even as simple as lighting a candle while eating a homemade pizza... Sitting down to a meal can be a simple, and lovely event in the day... (I used to watch my hubby shake his head when I would light a candle when we ate at the breakfast bar, or heated up leftovers, sometimes even when we cuddled up on the couch with pizza. Now, he's often the one to beat me to it!)

Ha ha ha - funny story. When my husband and I were first dating, and I would bring him home with me to visit my family, my dad would often plan a nice meal for my first night home. We would arrive at the house in the late afternoon and the table would be set - china dishes, crystal glassware, silver place settings, candles... The table would be set as though it were a holiday - beautiful and welcoming. I knew it was a "welcome home" dinner - a celebration. What I didn't realize is that my hubby was thinking this was normal dinnertime behavior in our house! It took about two years before my hubby made a comment about my family being just like the Cleaver family from "Leave It to Beaver!" I don't think I've ever laughed so hard!

But, I did learn how to make dinner special from my parents... Even when we eat at the kitchen table with paper plates - there is often a candle lit!

Nothing wrong with trying to make a moment beautiful - light a candle at dinner tonight!

I dare you!

Things I am thankful for:

1. The word, "persnickety."
2. Leslie's strawberry bread - yum!
3. Lydia, Bailey, and Meg - scout girls that join me on Thursdays for a "God and Family" program. So fun!
4. Comparing families to pizza - makes us girls giggle.
5. Jason - my one boy scout that meets with me towork on his program, "God and Church." He and I share many laughs, too.
6. Open Sanctuary - a time at our church to spend in quiet meditation and prayer in the candlelit sanctuary... So peaceful.
7. A cool evening for a walk.
8. The last piece of strawberry rhubarb crisp.
9. Plans to relax tomorrow.
10. Plans to see friends tomorrow night!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin