Sunday, November 21, 2010

No Church?!

Wow...  No church today.  The roads are thick ice!  I don't think I've ever had church canceled before...  Crazy.

Here's a tidbit of what I read this morning:

"It is always the simple things that change our lives.  And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen.  Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so.  You feel like running, but life is on a stroll.  This is how God does things."
--Donald Miller, "Blue Like Jazz"

While I was home today, I was catching up on some emails - and I received one from a woman at church who had decided to use her "Living a Better Story" money at a homeless shelter called, "The Listening House."  This intrigued me...  So I went to the website to learn more.  I used to volunteer with homeless shelters quite a bit, and since moving back to Minnesota, thought at some point I would start again.... But I just haven't found the right one yet...  But I think I may have found it! 

(Funny how the little whisper that led me here started with Don Miller at the Storyline Conference, then led to me leading the "Living a Better Story" movement at church, and onto one person's gift of the $5 to this particular shelter! God works in amazing ways!)

On another note, since we were home all day today - we put up our Christmas decorations!  Uffda!  Bring on the holidays!

Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Being safe and warm inside during a crazy ice storm.
2.  Feeling like a little kid with a snow day!
3.  Nancy J's story about The Listening House.
4.  Napping during the football game.
5.  Leftovers from dinner last night.  Yum.
6.  Christmas decorations - and all the memories behind each one.
7.  The dog playing in the Christmas tree branches.
(Bailey got a little "bling" for the season!)
8.  Twinkling lights.
(Have you ever laid on your back under the Christmas tree and looked up?  It's actually very pretty...)


(I just don't recommend doing it when the dog is around...  They tend to look at you like you're nuts!)

9.  A break for spaghetti!
10.  A productive day.

1 comment:

Carol E. said...

Yes! I love to lie under the tree and look up at the lights.... I see you posted my hats story at the church blog again. (?) Didn't know you would put me in there a 2nd time. I wasn't trying to toot my own horn and get lots of loud credit for what I did! (ala the Pharisees)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin