Friday, November 26, 2010

A Moment

"Beyond the veils of language and the noise of activity, the most profound events of our lives take place in thoe fleeting moments where something else shines through, something that can never be fixed in language, something given as quietly as the gift of your next breath.  Days and nights unfold in the confidence and continuity of sequence.  Most days take no notice of us; but then every so often there is a moment when time seems to crystallize.  A voice changes tone and a deeper music becomes audible.  A gaze holds and a hidden presence is revealed."
--John O'Donohue, "Beauty"

This morning, we slept in.  Lovely.  Then we sat around the table - just hubby, his mom, and me.  We ate and we talked - and we talked.  We told stories and laughed together and enjoyed every minute.

Then Mike got up to head outside to start his projects for the weekend... and his mom and I stayed and talked some more.  For a long time.  She shared stories about her life - stories I had never heard before.  And she listened to stories of my life, and asked about my job, and my volunteering, and our life... 

It was a moment.  A wonderful moment.  A moment to be thankful for.

Things I am thankful for today:

1.  Sleep!
2.  A simple breakfast.
3.  Stories and sharing.
4.  I finished my book, "Huck."  So cute.
5.  No TV.  Lovely.
6.  Dinner out to celebrate brithdays all over again!
7.  No Black Friday shopping!
8.  Mudslides.  Mmm....
9.  A quiet day.
10.  Our dog cuddling with Mike's mom.  Very cute.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin