Monday, August 16, 2010

Praying!

"'You pray in your distress and in your need,' Kahlil Gibran admonishes us. 'Would that you might pray also in the fullness of your joy and in your days of abundance.'
"If we did, we might experience more of them."
--Sarah Ban Breathnach, "Something More"

Why is it we only feel the need to pray when we are in the darkest, saddest days?  When there is trouble lurking?  When despair takes hold?

I've read several books in the last couple of years that have, in one way or another, suggested you wake up each morning with this simple prayer: "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

What a way to start a day! 

And today, as I woke up to sunshine streaming through the windows, a cool breeze rustling the curtains, and smell of flowers and lavender filling the patio...  It was very easy to say, "thank you."

What are you saying "thank you" for today?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A couple Sundays ago during the silent prayer time... I was "shocked" that I "nothing" to pray for in my personal life...so I repeated "thank you" about 15 times! It was kind of cool!

Mom said...

My 3 daughters--WOW!Very kind, warm, good, wonderful human beings! Also that our family was blessed with our third "surprise"---can't even imagine what our lives would be like without her in our lives.

Amanda said...

You!

Andrea, the little collector said...

Seeing Grover, that lovable monster, talking to two children over a bushel of apples at my farmers' market. Made me feel like a kid! GROVER!!!

And that a woman put back (at the VERY last minute) one of the little ferns I wanted to buy. glad I waited around!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin